Discover through this article the importance of the Birth Certificate, a document that records the time a person comes into the world and assumes its origin. It is not only useful for subsequent procedures, but also guarantees respect for the human rights of the individual.
The Birth Certificate is also known as the Birth Certificate or Certificate. Below, you will find everything related to the processing of this document in Spain
What are the necessary requirements to register a birth in Spain?
After the birth of a boy or girl, full recognition of this event is mandatory, which is achieved by registering it in the Civil Registry or directly at the health center where the baby was born.
In the health center you have a maximum period of 72 hours and in the Civil Registry you can do it within the first 10 days of birth, with a maximum period of 30 days and its due justification.
The requirements you need include:
- Document accrediting the birth issued by the Health Center.
- National Identity Document (D.N.I.) of the parents.
- Family book or marriage certificate if the affiliation is matrimonial.
- Sign the Declaration of Paternity contained in the Official Form, if the affiliation is not matrimonial
Births of Spaniards abroad will be registered in the Civil Registry of the Consular Office, in whose demarcation the place where they occurred is located.
How to request the birth certificate in Spain?
If you are looking for where to request a Spanish birth certificate, it will be of great help to know that there is the possibility of managing this document directly in the Civil Registry located in the town where you were born, also through postal mail or via the Internet.
The general requirements to request a birth certificate are:
- Data from the Spanish parents.
- Literal birth certificate from the Spanish Civil Registry (Original and copy).
- Spanish passport (Original and copy).
- Birth certificate.
- Original and copy of the (DNI) National Identity Document, of both parents.
How to request the appointment?
The procedures are managed online mainly. If you are in Spain, you must enter the web portal of the Spanish Ministry of Justice to request an appointment and thus process your departure.
How to request a birth certificate online?
It is recommended that you follow these steps when requesting your birth certificate online:
- Enter the website of the Spanish Ministry of Justice.
- Once there, look for the electronic birth certificate request option and click on it. You will need the Clave System, a digital certificate installed on your PC or have your electronic ID. This is also necessary for tax procedures.
- After choosing between the previous options, the system automatically redirects you to the identity provider.
- In this step, you are asked for your PIN or password.
- Subsequently, a form appears that you must complete with your data, without making mistakes.
- Among the data that are mandatory are: the Autonomous Community where you were born, the Province and the competent Civil Registry for the area, as well as other personal data, such as your date of birth and the name of your parents.
- Click the OK button and submit the information. Make sure the data is complete.
- The system automatically downloads the birth form to your computer.
- Finally, save it and proceed to print it, if you wish.
How to obtain physical birth certificate?
In the event that you cannot go personally to the Civil Registry to manage your document and you do not have a digital certificate installed on your PC or your electronic ID, you can resort to another option to request a birth certificate that consists of requesting the sending of the same to your postal mail.
For this, you must comply with the following steps:
- In your search engine, locate the website of the Spanish Ministry of Justice.
- Look for the birth certificate request option (online processing without digital certificate).
- In this step, a form will appear that you must fill out in its entirety.
- When the “Type of certificate” option appears in the form, you must click on the literal certificate.
- Place the cause of its issuance (for example: administrative causes).
- In the recipient segment, place government.
- In the option “How do you want to receive your certificate”, choose postal mail and verify the address.
- In this way you can request up to three copies of the document.
- It is advisable to check the option “Send the status of your request to your email”. In this way, you will be able to monitor it.
- Accept the conditions generated by the system and then press the Continue button. You will have to wait a few days for the document to arrive at your home.
What are the delivery times for the birth certificate?
The deadlines for receiving your certificate will depend on the delivery method you have selected. For example:
- By postal mail: the estimated period of receipt is 15 days, after your online request.
- In person at the Entity: in this case, it will be the Civil Registry itself who will indicate the date from which you can withdraw the document at its facilities.
- Certification with electronic seal of the General Directorate of Registries and Notaries: the electronic birth certificate will be issued immediately.
Do not forget that the processing of this certificate is free and among its most common uses stands out the first issuance of the D.N.I. and the passport.
How is the literal urgent birth certificate processed?
It is considered a positive certificate, it is a literal copy of the birth registration, it contains all the data related to the identity and the fact of birth.
You can process it in person or online. For immediate or fast delivery, compared to the normally stipulated deadlines, you must specify the reasons for your urgency.
How is the birth certificate processed in Madrid?
People who were born in this city can request a birth certificate in Madrid, as long as this birth has been registered in the Civil Registry of Madrid. Since legally the municipality in which the entry or registration was made is considered the place of birth.
It is important to indicate the district, street or hospital where the baby was born, to request the literal birth certificate of Madrid. If you do not have any of this information, you must provide the volume and the registration page, this will facilitate the location of your game.
Remember that due to the pandemic, you cannot currently request your departure in person at the Madrid Civil Registry, you must do so through the Madrid Community Justice web portal, just like any processing appointment.
How is the birth certificate processed in Valencia?
The same applies as in Madrid, the document must indicate that the person was born in Valencia or that the birth was registered in the Civil Registry of Valencia. Under normal conditions you can manage the document in person, but currently this is not the case due to the pandemic, instead you can opt for the postal mail or online (from the web portal of the Spanish Ministry of Justice).
To manage this document, you must provide the following information:
- Name, surname and date of birth.
- Volume and Page corresponding to your birth registration, which you can find in your Family Book.
- Type of certificate you want to obtain.
- An address to which to send the certificate and a contact telephone number, in which any information needs to be clarified.
It should be added that processing the birth certificate in Seville works the same as in the previous cases. You can go directly to the Civil Registry of Seville or carry out the process online through the web portal of the Spanish Ministry of Justice.
How should you process a literal birth certificate in Spain?
First of all, you should know the difference between an extract from the Birth Certificate and a literal Birth Certificate or Certificate.
The first is a document that includes a small summary with the most important data contained in the original Birth Certificate, while the second is an exact copy of all the data found in the original document.
You can request any of these two documents through the procedures described above, providing the requirements that apply.